Office of the Fire Official
About your Fire Prevention Bureau
The Bureau is located at 838 River Road, and is open 8am-4pm Monday through Friday and on call 24 Hrs. a day 7 days a week.
We consist of the Fire Official, 6 part time inspectors, and 2 full time fire clerks. We are located at the Edgewater Fire Headquarters 838 River Road. In 2014 the bureau handled over 2600 inspections, investigations, complaints, and fire prevention presentations.
Ask about our totally free of charge Needs Assistance Program or TOT Finder Program if someone you know is incapable of exiting their home in an emergency due to age, illness, etc.
You may reach us at 201-943-1700 Ext.4116 during normal working hours or through our police department off hours at 201-943-2201.
FOR ALL FIRE, POLICE, and AMBULANCE
Emergencies Dial 911 OR 201-943-2200
PLEASE TAKE NOTE OF THESE IMPORTANT SAFETY TIPS
- Test your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors monthly. Make sure detectors have working batteries. Change batteries a minimum of twice a year, an easy way to remember is change your clocks change your batteries. Install detectors on each level of your home and within 10 feet of all sleeping areas.
- Smoke detectors must be replaced 10 years from date of manufacture.
- Carbon Monoxide detectors must be replaced 5 years from date of manufacture.
- If you cannot afford a smoke/carbon monoxide detector please contact our office so we may assist in providing one to you. (Proof of income will be required)
- Always keep matches and cigarette lighters away from children.
- Use candles safely, keep in non-combustible container; don’t leave unattended, keep away from open windows and/or curtains
- Make sure your address is clearly displayed on your home so emergency services can quickly locate you in the event of an emergency.
- Maintain an operational Type ABC multi-purpose fire extinguisher in the immediate vicinity of your kitchen.
- Never use water on a grease fire. Smother it with a lid or use a Type ABC multi-purpose fire extinguisher.
- Plan and practice fire exit drills from all areas of your home. Know two ways out from each room when possible. Close but do not lock all doors when leaving. Do not stop to collect valuables or get dressed, and have a meeting place a safe distance from the house.
ALWAYS STAY LOW IN SMOKE AND
Practice Fire Safety Every Day