Police News and Events
Edgewater Police Chief, Donald Martin would like to remind all residents that during the Holidays, crime does increase but following some simple tips, it can be discouraged. Edgewater is a very safe community, let’s work together and keep it that way. A few suggestions have been listed below:
- Contact the Edgewater Police Department regarding your vacation plans, and arrange periodic checks of your property.
- Make your home appear occupied at all times, make it difficult to break in.
- Lock all outside doors and windows before you leave the house or go to sleep. Even if it is for a short time, lock your doors.
- Leave lights on when you go out. If you are going to be away for a length of time, connect some lamps to automatic timers to turn them on in the evening and off during the day.
- Keep your garage door closed and locked.
- Don't allow daily deliveries of mail, newspapers or flyers build up while you are away. Arrange with the Post Office to hold your mail, or arrange for a friend or neighbor to take them regularly.
- Arrange to have Postal, UPS, and Amazon packages delivered to alternate locations such as your work if possible to avoid packages remaining at your front door.
- Do not leave packages and gifts in view of house and car windows.
- Sliding glass doors are vulnerable. Special locks are available for better security.
- If your home has an alarm system, make sure you have activated the alarm prior to leaving your residence. If you have video surveillance systems, check the systems status regularly.
- Always, remain neighborly and observant, if you see something, say something.
- Lastly, always remove your key fob from your motor vehicle. A key or key fob was left inside a motor vehicle in almost every motor vehicle theft that occurred in our Borough
- Chief Donald Martin advises that the most important thing you can do is call the Edgewater Police Department at 201-943-2200 or dial 911, to report a crime or any other suspicious activity.
No Shave November has begun. Our officers will be letting their facial hair grow, for a fee, in an effort to raise cancer awareness. – cash or check donations can be left at the police station or mailed to the police station @ 55 River Road. (checks made out to the Edgewater Police Welfare Fund).